The Story of the Inky Boys
First Shoot, Ink coming out of the mouth, Model: Issy
This shoot was originally going to be a test shoot but I
have decided to use the images as final images because they exceeded my
expectations and I think they are my favourite set of images from the whole
project. Before the shoot I was a bit apprehensive about getting the mood right
in the images as this style of image I have not created in the past and so I
did not know how good my ability would be. Therefore I prepared for the shoot
by testing out several different products to create the black oily substance
that I needed to create my desired look. I tried using Supracolor, Aquacolor,
Mac Mixing medium, primer, Mac Lip Mixes, glosses, lipstick and different
combinations of the products mixed together to see what work the best. I felt
that the Black Mac Lip Mix together with the Mac Mixing Medium created a very
glossy wet look that was not too runny as it created drips yet did not move
around too much which made it easier to control and create the look I wanted.
I wanted the background on my images to be dark and the
images to have quite a sombre mood and so I spoke to my photography tutor Chris
about this and he showed me how I can create this. It was actually not too
different to photography techniques I had used in the past the only thing I had
to change was the positioning of the lights and move my model slightly away
from the background so that the background stayed very dark.
I chose Issy to as my model because I have worked with her
before and so know that she looks very effortless in front of the camera,
follows directions well and is willing to do poses that are a bit unusual. I
also knew that the paleness of Issy’s skin and brightness of her blue and green
eyes would create a bold contrast to the black make-up.
The shoot went well and was faster than I expected so we had
more time to experiment with the make-up and try few different versions of
having the black around Issy’s mouth. I think the look that worked the best was
when her make-up and hair was messy and she looked uncomfortable. I think this
worked well to reflect the story as I wanted her to look destressed at having
her speech taken away and having ink pouring from her mouth. I also think my
photography was the best on these images as the angle and composition
complement the way Issy was posed yet she skill looks distressed.
At the beginning of the shoot I was a bit tentative with
applying the black as I knew it would be difficult to take off if I put too
much on. However when I applied more product and made it look messier it was
far more effective and so I learned that I need to be bolder when applying
make-up. If I did apply it in a way that looked bad I could always remove it
and reapply it and so I need to remember this in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment